“I was pretty scared about going through the whole thing, and having to go to court. But Ali was so caring, and hard working, and she made me comfortable so I could open up. She felt like family to me. And she kept me going. If there was another case and I needed help, I would call her.”
No one should be subjected to sexual abuse or assault, and those who let it happen should be held responsible for the deep harm caused to victims. At Garmey Law, we know that no amount of money can repair the harm done by sexual abuse and assault, but a successful verdict or settlement can bring victims a sense of justice, closure, and the ability to continue on their path towards healing.
It can be hard to talk about sexual abuse and assault, and even harder to do it in a court of law. Often, we engage experts to help explain the harm of sexual abuse and assault; always, we treat our clients’ cases with the respect, honesty, and importance they deserve, and stand by their side when it comes time to tell their stories. Our sexual abuse attorneys and staff know how to handle sex abuse and assault cases with both skill and sensitivity, and help clients face those who were responsible for their trauma and get the compensation they need to move forward.
Types of Sexual Abuse & Assault Cases
We routinely handle sexual abuse and assault cases, including:
- School sex abuse cases
- Summer camp sex abuse cases
- Sex abuse cases against churches and other religious organizations
- Cases against government agencies, hospitals, schools, churches, employers, and others who failed to protect victims of sexual abuse and assault
- Cases against businesses who failed to keep their premises safe from sexual assault
- Direct cases against the perpetrator of sexual abuse or assault
We take sex abuse and assault cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that we front all costs of bringing the lawsuit, and our clients do not pay anything unless we recover for them. Rest assured, we’ll work hard to put as much money in your pocket as possible. For us, it’s part of our pride in what we do.
Conversations with our attorneys are private and privileged. You can trust us with your story. Contact us for a free consultation to evaluate your case.
Commonly Asked Questions
Most likely, it is not too late. Maine recognizes that minor victims of sexual abuse and assault are often unable to recognize and confront what happened to them until much later in life. Because getting justice for victims is so important, Maine has extended the statute of limitations for child and teen victims of sexual abuse and assault, allowing them to bring suit as adults. Contact us to arrange a no-cost consultation and find out whether you have a case.
Maine law recognizes that certain relationships impose a duty to protect victims from sexual abuse and assault. Depending on the circumstances, you may well have a case against the church, school, hospital, or other institution whose negligence allowed your sexual abuse to occur. No one should turn a blind eye to sex abuse and get away with it. Contact us for a free consultation to discuss your case.
- After a multi-day trial, Attorney Christian Foster obtained a verdict of $595,000.00 on behalf of his client who brought claims for damages caused by her ex-boyfriend’s verbal and physical abuse.
- Attorneys Alexis Chardon and Terry Garmey obtained a $700,000 jury verdict for three young women who were groped outside of their clothing by a security guard at their high school.
- Attorney Christian Foster reached a confidential settlement against a summer camp on behalf of a minor who was sexually abused at camp by other campers and who was harmed by the inadequate responses of the camp staff.
- Attorneys Terry Garmey and Alexis Chardon reached a confidential settlement against the Catholic Church for an adult who was abused by a priest as a minor.
How Our Maine Lawyers Can Help
Contact us to schedule a meeting with one of our experienced attorneys and learn more about how we can help. We know how difficult it can be to discuss sex abuse and assault, and our team will investigate your case with sensitivity to your needs. We handle sex abuse and assault cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that we cover all legal costs upfront, and we only get paid if you get paid from a settlement or verdict.